Thursday, June 5, 2014

Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book about a person named Charlie who is a freshman in high school and is very reserved.  He is a kid that watches the world around him from a distance and inside his own little world.  The friends that he ends up making are good for him because he is very troubled and they seem to bring out the best of him because they introduce him to the real world.  I really enjoyed reading this book and understanding the perspective of people who are like that in real life.  I feel as if the author chose to write a book about this because the author wanted to make a story that would allow people who aren't like charlie to still relate to him.  The author wants to describe Charlie and his life to show people what it's like to be someone like him.  This book is very appealing to me because I can relate to Charlie in some ways.  I kept reading this book after the beginning because it is very interesting and just gets better as you read on.  This book is very realistic because there are a lot of people who are just like Charlie.  Certain scenes that happen in this book I relate to in many different ways.  I relate to the way Charlie sees the world around him and watches time and friends pass by.
The author of this book wrote about this book to let people know what it's like to be in Charlie's position.  I think the author thought to write this book to kind of give out information to people to see what it's like to be on the other side.  This book is kind of depressing in a few ways, depending on how well you can relate to it.  I don't think that the author intended this to be a very climatic or crazy book but for it to be a different.  Different in a way that shows people to be more open about life and to live it to the fullest.  Charlie and Sam are two of the main characters in this book.  Sam is a girl that Charlie has a big crush on because she is the opposite from him.  Sam seems to be a very special girl for being just average.  She has many personalities about her that Charlie is very attracted to.  They both see life in different ways but have a certain connection that meets each other half way.  Both of these characters are very important to the story because Charlie is the main character and Sam is the one who brings him into the real world.
The way the book is written is as if Charlie is telling the story from his point of view which leads into indirect characterization.  The way he talks about all of his friends is an example of indirect characterization because he describes them without even trying to.  When he talks about what the other characters say or do gives the reader a good idea of what these people would be like if we were to see them in real life.  The direct characterization plays into the story when the author talks instead of Charlie.  Especially in the beginning of the book when the author describes Charlie and his circumstances in life is a good example of direct characterization.  The author changes the diction of the story when he talks about Charlie from other character's points of views.  Charlie has his own story while the author makes another story from the other character's points of views.  Charlie has a lot of different characteristics and alter egos.  He can be angry, sad and happy which in otherwise be known as bipolar.  As the book came to an end it was as if I was losing friends because I feel as if I got to know all of these characters like I would get to know a friend in real life.  In the beginning of the story when Charlie introduces all of the people in his life, I felt as if I were meeting this people.  The way the author described these people and Charlie's point of view made me feel like I was actually there shaking the character's hands.
The author did a good job of writing this book in both a journalistic and fiction type of way.  When the book was being told by Charlie, it was a journalistic type of way because Charlie was using a printing press.  When the author was telling the story it was a fiction type of way.  The descriptions of the places that Charlie was at made this story so realistic.  I could imagine everything that the other was saying in my mind.  The conversations that the characters had with each other were so realistic because the topic of the conversations were the same topics that I have with my friends.  The author used foreshadowing to give the story tone because you could tell what was about to happen next.  You could tell what was about to happen next because towards the end of the story, you know Charlie so well that you know what he would do next.
This is a book that I will remember for a long time because it is one of the best books I have ever read.  I really enjoyed the way I could relate to the book because it was so well written.  The descriptions of the places and scenes made me feel as if I was really there with the characters.  I remember the part where Charlie got so angry and beat up some of the characters out of anger.  He couldn't control his actions because his mind kind of took over his body and the actions his body made.  I will also remember the part where Charlie and Sam had their first kiss.  The emotion behind all of the words leading up to the kiss gave me a type of emotion as if I felt like I was in Charlies position.  This book was outstanding and I recommend it to anyone who would like to read a book that you could bring to life in your mind.  I could imagine the whole book as if I was Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment